Bittersweet Good-bye
Last Wednesday we went to the hospital as we had many times before, but this time we had to say good-bye. We have spent the past month with Eve and Amy and her family as her dad dealt with 2 heart attacks, stroke, pnuemonia just to mention a few of his complications. We had prepared many times before to say good-bye to Johnny, and help Eve deal with this difficult time. He was taking off the breathing tube not predicted to breath more than a few breaths on his own. Johnny not only started breathing, he started talking, eating and walking. He was even allowed to drink a "real" Pepsi without thickening mix added to it. Johnny made a recovering that no one could have predicted or even imagined. I guess prayers do work. As Johnny's wife Kathy put it, " We sent Johnny to heaven and God kicked him back to us". Amy said soon after receiving the news in Hawaii about her father that he had to be alright because she wasn't finished with him.
We went to the hospital last Wednesday to say good-bye, but not to Johnny. We said good-bye to Amy and Eve and they were heading back to Hawaii where they live. I have known Amy for 17 years this summer. We met hostessing at Darryl's in the summer on '92. (I guess Amy started hostessing at 4 yrs old since she claims she is only 21 now) We also met the men that both of us went on later in life to marry. Christroher and Nathan have been best friends ever since and were in each others weddings. Amy and I have always been friends, but something changed over the past month. I saw a side of Amy that I have never seen before. I was able to help out a little bit taking care of Eve when it was needed, and went to the hospital often to check on Amy, her dad, and the rest of her family. I was not there for any hidden agenda, but I knew a friend needed help, so I helped. Amy knew I was there for her that is all that mattered. I enjoyed her daily text updates and our lunch out at GVG. I listened intently to all of the stories of her father that she told. I even gave her a pair of jeans because they looked better of her than me. I have started numerous texts to her and realized the time difference and help off from sending them. In the past Eve has been a little bit more needy at times than my own children, so I wasn't sure how it was go. Eve spent 3 days here when she first arrived and I have to say we were sad to see her go. She was the little sister Katherine always wanted ( but is not getting ) and a constant playmate for Ethan. She was soon named Ethan's twin, which he loved. She would watch Ethan's pretend baseball games for hours on end. She even let Ethan try to teach her how to play. Everyone had such a great time that she came back a few more times over the month.
Last Wednesday when we went to say good-bye to 2 people that we have become closer to in the past month than I could have imagined. Thankfully, Johnny was able to walk out of the hospital and is now at home. I do believe the cliche more than eve now, everything happens for a reason.
Amy and Eve we look forward to seeing you in January. Johnny, we can't wait to hang out with your family again on your nice new screened in porch.
No comments:
Post a Comment